Dennis DeMello ©WCS
Explore the Bronx Zoo with our knowledgeable and trained guides, the Friends of the Zoo (FOZ). The Zoo offers 90-minute guided tours for adults, families, schools, scouts, camp and community youth groups, and private groups interested in learning more about our animals and exhibits.
Availability & Fees
(any non-school group)
- Tours accommodated daily throughout the year
- Mornings from 10:30 AM-12:00 PM or Afternoons from 1:30-3:00 PM
- General admission is included.* Parking is not included.
- One adult chaperone for every ten minors is required.
*For groups interested in Total Experience Admission, contact Group Sales to purchase tickets for 10 or more people. For groups with less than 10 people, purchase Total Experience Tickets in advance on the Bronx Zoo website or purchase at any gate on the date of your visit. This purchase will be in addition to the tour fee.
- Tours accommodated Monday-Friday from September-June
- Mornings from 10:30 AM-12:00 PM
Fee for NYC Public Schools
- $2.00/student (a minimum of 10 students is required)
- General admission to the Zoo is always free for NYC Public Schools. Bus parking is not included.
- One adult chaperone for every ten students is required
- Adult chaperones in addition to the 1:10 required ratio will be charged $2.00/adult
Fee for All Other Schools
- $250.00 per tour up to 30 students and 3 adult chaperones
- General admission to the Zoo is included. Bus parking is not included.
- One adult chaperone for every ten students is required
- Adult chaperones in addition to the 1:10 required ratio will be charged $5.00/adult
Select a tour of one of the Bronx Zoo’s exciting exhibits, such as, Congo Gorilla Forest, Jungle World
or a tour focused on a theme that utilizes exhibits throughout the Zoo, such as, adaptations, endangered species or predator/prey.
Aquatic Bird House Tour
Venture into the Aquatic Bird House where you will meet flamingos, ibises, puffins and more. You’ll be introduced to the special qualities of these water loving birds.
Congo Gorilla Forest Tour
Walk down a path where you will meet monkeys, okapis, red river hogs, Western lowland gorillas, and more as you listen to the unique sounds of the African rain forest.
Jungle World Tour (September-March only)
Journey through an Asian rain forest and learn about the varied habitats within it. Students will observe animals from all layers of the rainforest including monkeys, otters, bats, archerfish, fly-river turtles, and peafowl.
Madagascar! and More Tour
Meet one-of-a-kind wildlife from the world’s fourth largest island. Nile crocodiles, lemurs, fossa, and sea lions are just some of the animals you will meet on this tour centered on the Bronx Zoo’s historic Astor Court.
Mouse House Tour
See animals that represent habitats from around the world. Learn how animals that inhabit the Mouse House are adapted to their unique environments.
World of Birds Tour
Listen to numerous bird calls as you learn about bird anatomy, what makes flight possible, courting and nesting habits, as well as, the threats that many birds face in today’s world.
World of Reptiles Tour (September-March only)
Investigate the characteristics of reptiles and amphibians and learn what makes each individual species unique.
Examine the differences in animals that allow them to survive in varied environments such as rainforests, grasslands, tundra and deserts. Exhibits visited with school groups are determined in collaboration with the teacher.
Animal Behavior Tour (NYC Urban Advantage Approved)
Why are some animals more active at night? Why do some live in groups while others are solitary? During this tour visitors are encouraged to observe animal behavior. Reasons why animals behave the way they do will be discussed. Exhibits visited with school groups are determined in collaboration with the teacher.
Endangered Species Tour
Explore the causes as to why wildlife is disappearing learning what conservation actions people can take to prevent it. Exhibits visited with school groups are determined in collaboration with the teacher.
(Recommended for students 3rd grade & up)
Predator/Prey Tour(NYC Urban Advantage Approved)
Learn about the relationship between predators and their prey including the physical and behavioral adaptations they have to help them survive. Exhibit visits change seasonally.
Contact the Bronx Zoo Education Department at email@example.com
or (718) 220-5132, Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, at least 2 weeks in advance of your visit.
We welcome students with special needs. Please be sure to mention the various needs of your students when creating your registration.
- Private/Non-school tour registrations must be paid in full at time of registration by credit card or within 7 business days by check.
- School tour registrations must be paid in full 4 weeks prior to the first scheduled tour date. Schools may make payment via check or credit card.
- Purchase Orders are accepted for school tour registrations as long as an approved copy is received by the Bronx Zoo Education Department 2 weeks prior to the first scheduled tour date.
- Under no circumstances will tours be offered to school groups without full payment or an approved purchase order within 2 weeks of first scheduled tour date.
- Cancellations made 2 weeks or more before the date of the scheduled tour will be refunded 50% of the registration fee. There is no refund for cancellations made less than 2 weeks prior to the program date. All cancellations must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone cancellations will not be accepted.
- There will be a $35 service charge for each change made to the original registration. Requests for changes to the registration cannot be made less than 2 weeks prior to the scheduled date of the tour.
- In case of extreme weather conditions, please check your email for a cancellation notice. A full refund will be issued for programs cancelled due to weather.
- Due to a very full schedule, tours may not be extended for late arriving groups beyond the scheduled end time.
- Tour guides will make every attempt to provide a tour in the time available.
- Please obtain information on how to locate the Zoo and the specific tour meeting location in advance of your trip.
- Directions to the Zoo and a copy of the Zoo Map are available online at www.bronxzoo.com.
- All tours are held rain or shine and regardless of inclement weather conditions.
- Please encourage group participants, especially school children, to dress appropriately for outdoor activities.
- Exceptions are made for schools when field trips are cancelled for an entire school district by their main Department of Education.