The SCI Network NYC is a consortium of eight science-based cultural institutions, including WCS. Our organizations are committed to providing high-quality STEM internships to New York City youth. In 2022, we collectively hosted 900 interns who gained experience in a variety of fields, including animal care, horticulture, science communication, teaching, and administration. Our goals are:
- Increase the number of youth from historically underrepresented communities in STEM internships.
- Develop systems to connect interns with employment opportunities across institutions. We call this "latticing in action."
- Develop a plan to leverage New York City’s Summer Youth Employment Program to benefit our interns and institutions.
- Demonstrate our collective impact through evaluation, storytelling, and advocacy.
- What is the role of internships in youths’ science identity development?
- How can SCI Network NYC support youth in pursuing careers at science-based cultural institutions?
We collect the following data to address the evaluation questions:
- Intern Demographic Census. During onboarding, we administer an anonymous demographic census to interns to understand their backgrounds and track changes in intern demographics over time.
- Intern Exit Survey. We administer an anonymous exit survey to understand the impact of the internship and SCI Network peer networking events, including knowledge and skill development, feeling of inclusion, and career goals.
See the report below for more information about our intern audience and impact.